Reaching Through the Veil shows how angels are a part of our everyday lives. This blog is designed to share your experiences, stories that you find, quotes from General Authorities, and scriptures that show that angels are a part of our lives.

Sunday, November 14, 2021

President Russell M. Nelson shares the experience of his grandfather seeing his dead departed father.

 

President Russell M. Nelson

When my grandfather A. C. Nelson was a young husband and father, just 27 years old, he saw and conversed with his father who died on January 27, 1891.  About three months after his death. His deceased father, my great-grandfather, came to visit him. My grandfather kept a journal but it is not more than a half a dozen pages long. This is the main entry in the journal.   The date of that visit was the night of April 6, 1891. Grandfather Nelson was so impressed by his father’s visit that he wrote the experience in his journal for his family and friends.

“I was in bed when Father entered the room,” Grandfather Nelson wrote. “He came and sat on the side of the bed. He said, ‘Well, my son, as I had a few spare minutes, I received permission to come and see you for a few minutes. I am glad to see you father how do you do? I am feeling well, my son.  How are you and mother and the boys getting along.  I am well father.  Can you see us at all times? Do you know what we are doing? No, my son I cannot. I have something else to do.  I have been assigned work that must be performed. What have you been doing since you died father? He looked at me and smiled. Son, I have received my commission to preach the gospel. I have been traveling together with Erastus Snow ever since I died.  

“You cannot imagine, my son, how many spirits there are in the spirit world who have not yet received the gospel,” he said.  “But many are receiving it, and a great work is being accomplished. Many are anxiously looking forth to their friends who are still living to administer for them in the temples. I have been very busy preaching the gospel of Jesus Christ. ”

Grandfather Nelson told his father, “We intend to go to the temple and get sealed to you, Father, as soon as we can.”

My great-grandfather responded: “That, my son, is partly what I came to see you about. We will yet make a family and live throughout eternity.”

Then Grandfather Nelson asked, “Father, is the gospel as taught by this Church true?”

His father pointed to a picture of the First Presidency hanging on the wall of the bedroom.

“My son, just as sure as you see that picture, just as sure is the gospel true. The gospel of Jesus Christ has within it the power of saving every man and woman who will obey it, and in no other way can they ever obtain salvation in the kingdom of God. My son, always cling to the gospel. My son, be humble, be prayerful, be submissive to the priesthood, be true, be faithful to the covenants you have made with God. Never do anything that would displease God. Oh, what a blessing is the gospel. My son, be a good boy.”

 I write it for the benefit of my family and friends.

 

[A.C. Nelson received this private vision 27 years before President Joseph F. Smith received D&C 138, the Vision of the Redemption of the Dead. Both experiences testify of God’s plan of salvation and encourage us to perform temple ordinances for those beyond the veil.]

https://www.churchofjesuschrist.org/study/ensign/2017/10/open-the-heavens-through-temple-and-family-history-work?lang=eng

Also video attached to Come Follow Me, Sunday school lessons for D&C 125-128 November 1-7

 

 

No comments: